- RT @caoilfhionnanna: Our amazing clients A&B fundraising to take #abortionrights case to Strasbourg. #NI women are not 2nd class citizen… https://t.co/RK91eTJRGN
- RT @JonathanCoopr: Méndez is a member of @DoughtyStIntl. Rodley was a member too. We are fortunate to have such outstanding experts co… https://t.co/fmUSWp1pp7
Asia is the fastest growing continent in terms of both investment and population growth, with Asian countries playing an increasingly important role in both private and public international law. This emerging role has led members of Doughty Street International to take work in, and from, Asian countries in the following legal areas:
- Advice and representation in domestic criminal cases. Recent cases include representation in criminal trials in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Advice and representation in domestic human rights and environmental cases. Recent cases include public interest litigation in India before the National Green Tribunal, High Courts and Supreme Court.
- Advice and representation in group action toxic tort claims. Recent cases include representation of hundreds of claimants of asbestos and mercury poisoning from India.
- Advice on, and representation in, international courts and tribunals. Recent cases include representation of the State of Cambodia before the International Court of Justice, representation of the former President of the Philippines against her alleged unlawful detention, and an application filed in the International Court of Justice in relation to India and Pakistan’s nuclear proliferation. Members of the team are defending Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed who is being held in violation of international law.
- Research and advising on comparative legal systems for law reform. Recent examples include comparative research on criminal law for the Vietnamese Government.
- Training on human rights law and practice. Recent examples include counter-terrorism and human rights training in Central Asia.
- Rapporteur on human rights violations. Recent example is that a member of Doughty Street International has been made rapporteur for the IBA Human Rights Institute on the rule of law in Cambodia.
Members of Doughty Street International have also published widely on Asian issues, including a recipient of the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Alexandre Kiss Award for an environmental law essay on the application of climate change law in India.
Doughty Street International is excited by the renewed challenges and opportunities in Asia. Members of DSI Asia regularly take cases from law firms, governments, NGOs, and individuals, including through the Bar Council’s Public Access Scheme. We can advise on the different methods of payment for this work, including conditional fee arrangements, damage-based agreements, and third-party funding.